Sunday, December 12, 2010

Living in a digital world_ Chapter 12

I liked how this chapter relates to how digital media has taken over. I feel like we live in a world where digital media has replaced simple human interaction. I want to relate this chapter to the Myspace.com group. That's now being replaced by Facebook, which is being replaced by Twitter. The next popular one seems to be Skype. I also want to make reference to Barker quote, "the majority of non-western nations and nearly 97 percent of the world's population remain unconnected to the net for lack of money, access or knowledge" (Trend, 2005:2). This statement is true in the fact that that everyone assumes technology is widely avaliable even in poorer areas. Then the chapter unfolds into cyberspace and identity. Cyberspace allows a person to create their own inner image. Critics say, sex is not always determined but it could be determined if the designers of the game wanted that. And guess what, blogs are also very important in the digital culture. Blogs remind me of a diary online. While it's imformative to know about a person's opinion, can a personal opinion really be judged? There are good sides to the internet and there are bad sides. Personally, I think the internet should be more controlled in te sense of someone finding personal information. I know that won't happen, due to hackers and the government. In addition, cell phone companies invade our privacy everyday. It's a wonder, do we really live in a free world? Of course not. Basic human interaction is replaced when cell phone companies encourage their customers to buy a phone with all the apps. It was a hard decision for me when I renewed my phone and contract. Most of Tmobile's up to date phones were equipped with Microsoft, 4G, and/or apps. Call me old school, but I still believe in a regular phone call. I'm not even a fan of texting. But, I do know my 15 year old twin sisters will one day be digitized by culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment